In the ever-changing business world, a pre-employment drug screening program can Improve productivity and safety for the success of the people and culture of any company.
DOT URINE SCREEN
NON-DOT URINE SCREEN
HAIR DRUG SCREEN
INSTANT DRUG SCREEN (POCT)
# OF LOCATIONS:
Why Should My Company Drug Test
- Reduce on-the-job accidents and workplace crime, including theft and violence.
- Reduce employee turnover.
- Comply with state or federal regulations.
- Lower workers’ compensation insurance and healthcare costs, including premiums.
- Improve employee productivity.
- Address & Social Security Number Trace
- Criminal Search
- Bankruptcy Filing
- Business and Corporation Search
- Patriot Act Search [County, Federal, Nationwide]
- SEC and State SEC Records Search
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- Civil Search [County, State]
- Education Verification
- Civil Search [Federal]
- Driving Records [MVR or DMV]
- Employment Verification
- Office of Foreign Assets Control [OFAC]
- Professional License Verification
- Personal/Professional Reference Check Verification
5 Frequently Asked Background Check Questions and Answers
As clients and applicants go through the process, they often ask us a few common questions.
Depending on the scope and type of background check requested, the average background check takes one to five business days. Some searches are readily available and can take just hours. In other cases, a special form or process may be required, or the background screening company may be relying on 3rd parties (like employers, education institutions, and government entities) to make a manual search of their records which can extend the turnaround time.
How far back background check go depends on several factors, such as your company policy, state/county reporting limitations where the candidate works or where the employer is located, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Most criminal background checks have a seven-year look-back period, which is industry standard.
The FCRA prohibits Consumer Reporting Agencies (CRAs) like Check Before Hire from reporting the following:
- Civil suits, civil judgments, and arrest records that antedate the report by more than seven years.
- Other criminal records that resulted in a conviction, any adverse information that predates the report by more than seven years.
Some states have different reporting limitations than the FCRA. For instance, they may limit reporting of convictions to seven years, limit reporting depending on the level of the offense, prohibit reporting of non-convictions or limit reporting based on the expected salary of the new hire.
Methods of access to county criminal records vary throughout the 3,200+ counties across the United States. Many counties have digital access via a website or court integration. In contrast, others require court runners to be onsite at the courthouse to obtain case information. Still, other courts require that county court clerks manually search cases.
A statewide criminal check searches for misdemeanor and felony records throughout a specific state court or police database. Statewide criminal checks can help identify additional records found outside of the counties that a candidate has lived.
Sources used for statewide criminal check searches are often the Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) and State or Law Enforcement Agency Repositories. The number of counties included in the statewide criminal search varies by state; some states require counties to report in their records, while others do not. Several states do not have a name-based statewide criminal check available to the public, while others are available only by fingerprint search. Check Before Hire does not recommend a statewide search, with the exception of New York.
There is not a one-size-fits-all background check. Employers should be thinking about how the information they want to uncover/confirm in the background screening is related to the applicant’s job duties. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) requires employers to consider the job-relatedness and business necessity of criminal records for candidates they are considering for their position when selecting background checks.
When building a background screening package, it’s essential to identify all the positions in your company and think about what checks will help your company make the best diligent hiring decision.
Companies looking to create a basic background screening package should always contain the minimum search of Social Security / Residence History Trace, County Criminals Check, Nationwide Federal Criminal Check & a National Criminal Record with Sex Offender Registry search. Then to build a more comprehensive background check package, consider adding additional services that take into consideration the duties and responsibilities of the position, for instance, adding a Driving Record Check for driving positions, drug screenings, and Abuse Registry Checks for positions working with vulnerable populations, or verification of a claimed degree, employment history, or professional license for positions where an education credential, particular work experience or a professional license are a requirement of the job.
Many industries, such as transportation, healthcare, and financial services, have special regulatory or statutory requirements on what background screening services must be run to remain compliant. If you have employees in regulated industries, it’s vital to choose a background check provider that can help you complete the proper services.
When a candidate contacts Check Before Hire to dispute information in their consumer report, we have a trained and knowledgeable team available to assist them with this process.
We take the following steps in the event of a candidate dispute:
- Start the Dispute: To initiate the dispute process, we will work with the candidate to identify the item that is being disputed. We will also ask the candidate if they have any supporting documentation to confirm what is being disputed or expedite the process. Such documentation is helpful but is not required in order for us to initiate the reinvestigation.
- Note – If the Candidate indicates the report is correct, but they want information as to why they were not hired or the status of the hiring decision, Check Before Hire will advise them that we do not make the hiring decision and direct them to the client directly for that information.
- We will notify the Client for whom the report was prepared that the Candidate has started a dispute.
- Reinvestigate: As outlined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, we will conduct a reinvestigation of the disputed information free of charge.
- Information that is found to be inaccurate or incomplete as a result of the reinvestigation is then updated or deleted from the report.
- Complete the Dispute: We will document the results of the reinvestigation in a letter to the Candidate.
- The letter would include a copy of the report if results were changed due to the reinvestigation and any other information required by the FCRA.
- We will notify the Client that the dispute process is complete and the results of the reinvestigation.
Check Before Hire delivers fast, cost-effective, user-friendly, and accurate background screenings. Background screening plays a crucial role during the hiring process.
With over 20+ years in the background screening industry, our team here at Check Before Hire understands the legal and financial implications of employers’ hiring practices. We are committed to working with employers to design and implement a comprehensive screening program that fits their business needs. Our team can assist you every step of the way to prevent negligent hiring lawsuits.
“Our company has been utilizing Check Before Hire for over two years and will continue to use their amazing services. They have impeccable customer service and are reliable and trustworthy. They make the background screening process smooth, user friendly, and the turnaround time is great.”Tim DieselDiesel Commercial Group
“Polaris had been a client of Check Before Hire for a number of years before I started 5 years ago. Since I have been here, they have always had a quick turnaround for our pre-employment screenings, which has helped facilitate our hiring process. Debbie is always on top of things and is great about keeping me up to date on the status of our screenings. I would highly recommend Check Before Hire for your background needs.”Jamie WitterPolaris, HR Business Partner
“We have worked with Check Before Hire for over 5 years and have always had immaculate service! I recommend them to anyone considering choosing a background check company. The services offered cover all areas of background checks, and their customer support is top-notch. Their upgraded website enables us to hire with confidence and ease. It’s user-friendly, and candidates like that it’s simple and easy to complete. I cannot say enough how Check Before Hire goes above and beyond to make sure our requests move along smooth and quickly.”Jen NelsonCity of Marinette, HR Specialist
“I have been working with Check Before Hire and their staff for years. I am extremely pleased with their service, pricing and professionalism. They will go above and beyond to be sure they are able to provide our firm with the information we need to get our new hires on board quickly and efficiently. They are a pleasure to work with and I refer them often to others.”Denae WunderleTucker Ellis LLP, Director of Human Resources
ARE YOU FCRA COMPLIANT?
Our platform offers a customizable and user-friendly system for placing orders that can be driven by you or your applicant. It features built-in FCRA-compliant forms as well as an easy-to-manage Adverse Action process. Interested in seeing how simple ordering a background check can be? Let us show you.